Monday, January 13, 2014

Where to start?

Dang. Almost halfway into the first month of the new year and I haven't posted anything yet or gotten to drive ponyman. Yay me, huh?

After getting all the feedback last year at the CDE from 3 very well respected opinions that I need to move up to Prelim, I am staring at my entry forms and doubting myself. We all do that as competitors, right? I have good reason, or so I would like to think. I am going to enter the upcoming ADT at Prelim and give it a whirl. I have decided that already. I can stay at Prelim or drop back down after the first one depending on how we do. There is ALWAYS room for improvement though, at Any level.

Prelim for the CDE? It is far more costly. A couple hundred bucks more costly. It is a different dressage test, more hazards on the marathon including a longer course and I'm just not sure we are ready for that yet. Cones have only been a problem in the fact of keeping him under control, getting him lined up and through them while leaving the balls intact. Prelim he would be allowed to run. I'm not sure that will be a good thing, but who knows. The marathon is my main concern with the dressage test a close second.

I will follow this post with a few more to explain everything. There is also another matter of a more personal nature that adds to all of this. Isn't there always? That's really the big deciding factor in all of this. I should know more in the next few weeks and be in a better position to decide about proceeding then. I have some time before the closing date for entries...

4 comments:

Sherry Sikstrom said...

While I am quite sure you and Kat are up to the challenge, if it doesn't happen this year the sky wont fall. Do what works for you, and trust your gut

phaedra96 said...

Do not rush it; if another year training before moving into Prelim is what you need, then do it. I would say if you have doubts about his control and yours, stay with that and finesse those points before moving up!

Unknown said...

I agree, do what feels right to you.

L.Williams said...

I think running Prelim once to see how it feels is a great first toe dip.